A data dump on Datacores and Dharma.

“A popular man arouses the jealousy of the powerful.” – Thufir Hawat
Over on the forums is a thread on changes coming to the Datacore system. For the non-inventor and/or noob out there, a Datacore is needed whenever an Industrialist wants to “invent” a T2 BPC from a T1 BPC. It’s integral to T2 production. There was a time when T2 first came out that some lucky individuals got T2 BPOs. However, the Eve economy is so freaking huge that those BPOs don’t come close to accounting for a significant proportion of production. However, I digress.
CCP is going to change capsuleers obtain Datacores. Here it is in CCP Soundwave’s own words (with other diatribes removed – SSL:)

#85 Posted: 2012.05.02 11:12 

CCP Soundwave wrote: We’re not removing research agents or the ability to farm datacores from them. What we’re going to do is slow down the rate of datacores you accumulate and put a small pricetag on them.

Additionally to that, they’re being added to the Faction Warfare LP store, with a dynamic price.

We should have a devblog out later this month with the exact details.

Dini Mueter wrote: Thank you for that clarification. Can you confirm whether or not the datacores added to the faction warfare LP stores are only the racial ship engineering datacores or will it be all of them?

CCP Soundwave wrote: We’ve divided all of them into the LP stores.

#88 Posted: 2012.05.02 11:21 

CCP Soundwave wrote: Additionally to that, they’re being added to the Faction Warfare LP store, with a dynamic price.

Mara Rinn wrote: At least your previous suggestions of moving a large portion of data core production to exploration made sense. This change sounds an awful lot like you ran the hat around for ideas on boosting the attractiveness of Faction Warfare, and data core production by blowing up militia ships happened to make it into the cut.

Do you really want people engaging in Faction Warfare simply because it is a better income than level 4 missions or Incursions? What do the current FW community feel about having their numbers bolstered with mercenaries?

Mining with guns, all over again.

CCP Soundwave wrote: Mining with guns was bad because it detracted from real mining. This is bad because it detracts from……what exactly?

We want to move T2 production more towards low and zero-sec. This gives us a very cool venue for FW to influence the rest of the universe instead of being a closed-loop system.

#95 Posted: 2012.05.02 11:44 

CCP Soundwave wrote: Mining with guns was bad because it detracted from real mining. This is bad because it detracts from……what exactly?

Mara Rinn wrote: What happened to previous ideas of increasing data core availability through exploration?

CCP Soundwave wrote: Right now, 0.0 feels a lot more healthy than low-sec. There are a few good ways of making money there right now and I’m not sure adding another steady source to compete is as good as doing something for low-sec. Exploration is something I see getting a lot more rare and “jack-pot” type rewards, rather than something farm-able like datacores. It’s profession that should rely on you tracking down diamonds, not standing at an assembly line.

#108 Posted: 2012.05.02 13:48 

CCP Soundwave wrote: We’re not removing research agents or the ability to farm datacores from them. What we’re going to do is slow down the rate of datacores you accumulate and put a small pricetag on them.

Additionally to that, they’re being added to the Faction Warfare LP store, with a dynamic price.

We should have a devblog out later this month with the exact details.

Max Teranous wrote: Sup.

Dynamic pricing in LP stores? How are you going to do that then? As currently the LP store rewards are horribly set and are all over the place. Is this new dynamic function going to be for Datacores only or all LP store items?

Max

CCP Soundwave wrote: We have a pretty cool system, which Ytterbium will outline in a devblog 🙂

All I can say is that if you’re good at killing things, you’ll benefit.

Malcanis wrote: Dynamic LP store prices would be one of the best possible economic changes you could make. It’s one of those boring-sounding, undramatic changes that would have a very large affect.

(Especially if you also combined it with a look at the LP store to promote more specialisation – each major corp within a faction should have unique specialities)

CCP Soundwave wrote: This is basically exactly it, yes.

You can read his first comment (and the thread itself if you want) here.

This is an interesting turn of events. Datacore acquisition will certainly become a more active enterprise. If you want to take the “lazy” way out and still farm them it will cost you some extra iskies and your return on investment will diminish. That doesn’t hurt my feelings. Invention is a pain in the ass to be honest. I don’t like it but it’s a necessary evil. Still, this is not the way I’d have hoped to see invention go. I’d prefer a system that was actually more invention like: creating a new thing from inspiration and some elbow grease like Thomas Edison did. As it is, Invention is just one more cog in the production line. Data Cores are just another ingredient like Photon Microprocessors.

And speaking of those, the first thing CCP Soundwave said that really got me to sit up was, “We want to move T2 production more towards low and zero-sec.” I read this and the first thing that hit my brain was, no more OTEC! What, Goons are going to wage a price war against their own production lines? If T2 production goes to null, then the entire last month or so of market turmoil is moot. CCP will yank the very mechanism that makes it possible right out from under the perpetrator’s feet by “giving” them T2 production outright. I’m laughing my ass off at the thought of that. It turns OTEC aspirations into just so much self-flagellation. But there’s a darker side to that which needs more thought. In summary, if T1 is hi-sec and T2 not, where must the experienced industrialists go to grow? That’s right. And I see some problems with that but must address it in a separate post.

The second thing that caught my attention was, “Exploration is something I see getting a lot more rare and “jack-pot” type rewards, rather than something farm-able like datacores.” This really excites me in some regards. I will miss the regular spawning of gravimeteric sites from which I can extract better ores than usually populate hi-sec. But the thought that when I do find something, it will be a bonanza really sounds excellent! I wonder if they are also looking at a change to the type of things you can find via exploration. Hopefully there will be more about it later.

But back to the reason for this post. In all of this, I see CCP working to make Eve a more active place to live and work. Those that get out and do things will reap the rewards. Those who just want to kick back and do nothing will get almost nothing. There’s a new Dharma in that I think. Perhaps it will reach all the way out into null where tech moon mining is perhaps the most passive form of income in the entire game. It was supposed to be something alliances fought over. It was suppose to be the dynamo that drove conflict in EvE. For awhile that may have been so. But when everyone starts to make gentleman agreements, lock all the resources down to central control, hand them out as rewards for being good little stooges and turn that dynamo into the most risk free isk available – things have to change. I’m not advocating singling them out for some sort of nerf. That’s never good policy. However, it is within CCP’s purview to tweak the rules of the game. I “feel” some of that in this. It feels good.

Fly careful.

3 comments on “A data dump on Datacores and Dharma.

  1. Ah gotcha!

    Tbh, I'm half-expecting ring mining and the collapse of OTEC in May, whereupon it is revealed that the Goons have been frantically dumping tech while encouraging everyone else in the cartel to horde.

    Fun fact: if you have too many browser tabs open at once the title of this blog gets truncated to Mabrick's Mum.

    Like

  2. The only reason OTEC might work is because hi-sec industrialists must have Technetium to manufacture T2 products. Take T2 out of hi-sec and those industrialists go with it. To produce in null, those industrialists will have to be a part of the political blocs out there. They will become Goons, et al, in order to setup their production lines. They will become part of the cartel making the cartel's reason for existence moot. Another benefit of this is, if all T2 production is in null, where does Technetium and it's products get sold? In null! If there is no market in hi-sec why on the world take the risk of moving it there? This not only yanks the rug out from under OTEC, it makes null trade hubs mandatory. That's a win-win!

    Like

  3. Yup, I can support the datacore change on principle even though it will leave me a little out of pocket.

    I don't see why you say moving T2 to null and low will hurt OTEC. OTEC, it seems to me, is north-west null against the rest of Eve. While changes to T2 may even things up regarding the NW of null vs the rest of null, it doesn't help high sec manufacturers and customers of T2.

    Like

Comments are closed.